This is my progress page for the 2018 Non-Fiction Reading Challenge.
The official sign-up page is on DoingDeweyDecimal.
I posted about my goals and the rules I’m setting for myself here.
Read 10 books about Africa, set in African, or dealing with the African diaspora.
- Read Tears of the Desert (memoir of ordinary life and then the genocide in Darfur).
Read 10 books from my unread shelves.
I have two or three shelves worth that I’d like to make a dent in before purchasing brand new books.
Read 10 library books.
I’m only counting them if A) I finish reviewing them and B) I don’t go into overdue status.
Read 10 books that fit into my ongoing multi-year challenges.
Read 10 books that fit the monthly diversity goals or are chosen for the quarterly group reads.
- January – Biracial Awareness
- February – Black History Month
- March – Women’s History Month
- April – Arab Heritage Month
- May – Asian/Pacific Islander History Month
- June – LGBT Pride Summer
- July – LGBT Pride Summer
- August – Mental Health Awareness
- September – Hispanic History Month
- October – Physical Disability Awareness Month
- November – Native American History Month
- December – Religious Minorities
Complete one of my 5 challenge books from start to finish.
- Long Walk to Freedom (the comprehensive autobiography of Nelson Mandela)
- For Hearing People Only (a textbook about Deaf culture and ASL)
- Roots (the story of one black family through several generations)*
- The New Jim Crow (a look at the racial bias in mass incarceration in the US)
- God is Not One (Stephen Prothero’s study of world religions)
*I realize that Roots is today classified as a work of fiction. However the old edition I have was marked nonfiction so it’s been shelved with those books and fits with this part of the challenge.
Read the 8 books about the Civil Rights Movement that I already own, and any others I acquire in 2018.
Read 10 books about Central or South America, set in Central or South America, or featuring Central or South American main characters but taking place elsewhere.
Last Updated: January 14th, 2018.